Tehran: Six Indian nationals are among the 10 people aboard a Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel that was reportedly hijacked off Somalia’s Puntland coast, according to a Somali official.
The M/V LUTUF, owned by Polar Movement Shipping, was seized on Monday near Marraya in Puntland’s Eyl district. The vessel was reportedly taken towards the Nugaal coastline after being intercepted around 3.5 nautical miles from shore.
The ship was carrying Turkish military-related equipment, including weapons as well as communications and satellite gear. The cargo was reportedly destined for a Turkish military training facility in Mogadishu.
According to the official, the crew consisted of six Indians, one Turkish national, one Georgian national and two Serbian security guards.
Pirates reportedly take vessel towards Puntland coast
Eight suspected pirates are believed to have taken control of the vessel. They were reportedly linked to a group previously associated with the seizure of the M/V Sward on April 26.
The hijacked vessel was later moved towards the coast near Garmaal in Puntland’s Dangoroyo district. Two Turkish-owned vessels approached the area, while Turkish helicopters and drones were reportedly deployed to monitor developments.
On Tuesday, a small boat carrying two men approached the LUTUF and delivered khat, a stimulant widely used in Somalia. The boat subsequently returned towards the shore.
An airstrike was later reported in the area, killing four people and injuring two others. However, there was no immediate confirmation of who conducted the strike or whether those killed were connected to the hijacking.
The whereabouts of the LUTUF, its crew and its cargo remained unclear at the time of the report. Turkish authorities had not issued an immediate public statement, and the available information could not be independently verified.
Violence in Baidoa leaves four civilians dead
Meanwhile, Somalia has witnessed another deadly episode of violence in the southwestern city of Baidoa, where clashes between government forces and militias left at least four civilians dead and 98 injured, according to a hospital official.
The fighting began early Monday after militia members attacked government positions on the outskirts of the city. Somali authorities said around 30 militia fighters were killed, although an official figure for government casualties was not immediately available.
Dr Abdikafi Omar Mohamud, head of the emergency department at Bay Regional Hospital, said women accounted for 28 of the injured civilians. An elderly man was also among the casualties after reportedly being struck by stray gunfire.
The violence has placed additional pressure on Baidoa’s already strained medical facilities. The city, located roughly 245 kilometres northwest of Mogadishu, is home to more than half a million people, including a large population displaced by conflict and drought.
The latest developments underline the continuing security challenges facing Somalia, both along its coastline and in areas affected by internal conflict.