Paris: Employees of the Louvre Museum on Wednesday voted to extend an ongoing strike, prolonging disruption at the world’s most visited museum as unions protest chronic understaffing, deteriorating infrastructure and recent management decisions. Tensions have escalated further following a daylight crown jewels theft in October that exposed major security lapses.
The decision was taken during a general assembly held in the morning, where workers reaffirmed their unanimous support for the walkout that began earlier this week. The museum had remained shut on Tuesday due to its regular weekly closure, and uncertainty continued on Wednesday over whether galleries would be able to reopen.
Visitors with pre-booked tickets were seen waiting outside the museum as authorities assessed whether sufficient staff were available to safely operate the facility. Museum management said a final call on opening would depend on staffing levels throughout the day.
Union representatives said frustration has been building for months over persistent staff shortages, aging facilities and a proposal to raise ticket prices for visitors from outside the European Union. The situation worsened after the October robbery, which brought renewed attention to security vulnerabilities at the iconic institution.
Earlier this week, officials from the Culture Ministry held emergency talks with union leaders and proposed several measures, including scrapping a planned €6.7 million budget cut for 2026, initiating fresh recruitment for gallery guards and visitor services, and improving staff compensation. However, unions said the proposals did not adequately address their long-standing concerns.
The strike vote came just hours before Louvre President Laurence des Cars was scheduled to appear before the Senate’s culture committee, where lawmakers are examining security failures at the museum. Des Cars has previously admitted to systemic shortcomings following the heist and acknowledged that she became aware of a crucial 2019 security audit only after the robbery occurred.
Subsequent reviews by France’s Court of Auditors and a separate administrative inquiry have criticised prolonged delays in implementing a comprehensive security overhaul. In response, the Culture Ministry last month announced emergency anti-intrusion measures and appointed Philippe Jost, known for overseeing the restoration of Notre Dame Cathedral, to assist in reorganising museum operations.
With talks at an impasse and worker anger unresolved, the reopening of the Louvre now depends on the evolving labour situation and further negotiations between management and unions.