Encounter News Punjabi

Deadly Blaze Engulfs Hong Kong Housing Estate; Police Arrest Three as Toll Climbs to 44

WhatsApp Channel Join Now

HONG KONG: A raging fire that tore through a sprawling public housing estate in Tai Po has claimed at least 44 lives, with authorities warning that hundreds of residents remain unaccounted for as emergency crews continue round-the-clock rescue operations.

The blaze erupted Wednesday afternoon at the Wang Fuk Court complex, a development of eight high-rise blocks containing roughly 2,000 flats. By early Thursday, flames were still visible in several towers, with dense plumes of smoke shrouding upper floors and complicating rescue efforts.

Firefighters said extreme heat and limited visibility made it difficult to reach residents believed to be trapped in units above the 20th floor. After more than 15 hours of work, four blocks had been partially brought under control, but crews were still battling fires in the remaining towers.

Authorities revealed that temporary construction materials wrapped around the buildings may have contributed to the rapid spread of the fire. Protective mesh, plastic sheets and foam sealants—apparently installed during ongoing maintenance—were found on several exteriors and windows. Investigators believe some of these materials failed to meet fire-safety standards.

Police Superintendent Eileen Chung said three members of the construction firm overseeing the maintenance project—two company directors and an engineering consultant—had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. She said preliminary evidence pointed to “serious negligence” that “allowed the flames to move unchecked, with catastrophic consequences.”

The scene drew comparisons to other major high-rise disasters, including London’s Grenfell Tower fire in 2017. Officials noted that bamboo scaffolding and green mesh widely used in Hong Kong, long a hallmark of local building practices, have been gradually phased out this year over safety concerns.

Among the victims was a firefighter who succumbed to injuries sustained during the rescue attempt. Hospitals reported 45 people in critical condition early Thursday.

The death toll marks the worst fire in Hong Kong since the 1940s, surpassing a 1996 commercial-building blaze that killed 41.

Chief Executive John Lee urged the public to focus on emergency operations. “Our immediate priority is to put out the fire and bring people to safety,” he said, adding that support services had been mobilized for survivors and displaced residents. Eight temporary shelters were opened, and roughly 900 people had taken refuge there. Authorities said 279 residents had not yet been located.

Stories of fear and loss emerged from evacuees. A 71-year-old man surnamed Wong wept as he said his wife was still inside their apartment. Another longtime resident, 66-year-old Harry Cheung, recalled hearing a violent “bang” shortly before flames engulfed a nearby block. “I grabbed what I could and ran,” he said. “Right now I don’t even know where I’ll sleep tonight.”

Hong Kong’s Philippine consulate said it had received early, unconfirmed reports that some Filipino domestic workers might be among those trapped. Officials said they were working with local authorities to verify the information and assist affected nationals.

Rescue operations are expected to continue throughout the day as investigators begin piecing together how one of the city’s worst residential disasters in decades unfolded.

All news on Encounter News is computer-generated and sourced from third parties. Please read and verify carefully. We will not be responsible for any issues. 

Encounter News
Encounter News
Encounter Media Group

Latest Articles

Netanyahu Seeks Presidential Pardon, Says Ending Trial Will Help Restore Unity

Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has formally asked President Isaac...

Magnitude 4.2 Earthquake Jolts Nepal; Shallow Depth Raises Risk of Aftershocks

Kathmandu, Nepal: A mild earthquake of magnitude 4.2 struck Nepal on...

PM Modi Highlights Indian Navy and Space Achievements in 128th ‘Mann Ki Baat’

New Delhi: In the 128th edition of his monthly radio programme...

Sidhu Moosewala’s Family Launches Global Fan Challenge to Unlock Next Song; 1.6 million comments done so far

Sidhu Moosewala’s family has announced an ambitious fan-driven challenge to release...

Multiple Fatalities in Stockton Banquet Hall Shooting, Investigation Underway

Stockton, California: A tragic shooting at a banquet hall in Stockton...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here