Ferozepur, August 23, 2025: Punjab Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr. Balbir Singh on Saturday reviewed flood relief measures in Ferozepur and stressed the need for stronger central support to states in crisis.
During his visit to the Civil Hospital, the minister inspected wards, interacted with patients and doctors, and directed officials to ensure that no one in need is left without medical care. He also urged NGOs to extend help in treating abandoned patients admitted in government hospitals.
Dr. Balbir Singh informed that the Punjab government has deployed 450 Rapid Response Teams and 323 Mobile Medical Teams in flood-affected regions, all equipped with doctors and essential medicines. He added that 172 ambulances have been pressed into service for timely medical assistance.
Highlighting the state’s efforts to strengthen healthcare, he said that the recruitment of 400 nurses has been completed while 550 more nurses and 1,000 doctors will soon be appointed in government hospitals to ensure round-the-clock services.
The minister also pointed out that flood relief operations had been initiated from Kapurthala, one of the worst-hit districts, where food, medicines, drinking water, and fodder for livestock are being distributed. He further said a long-term action plan has been prepared to mitigate the damage caused by floods in the future.
Responding to queries on financial aid, Dr. Balbir Singh said, “Our immediate focus is on rescue and rehabilitation, followed by girdawari. The Centre should treat states like its younger brother. Rather than just collecting data by sending teams, it should depute Union Ministers to visit the affected areas and give ground-level feedback for releasing relief funds.”
MLAs Ranbir Singh Bhullar, Rajnish Kumar Dahiya, and Fauja Singh Sarari accompanied the minister during the review.