Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann on Saturday unveiled what he described as the largest road construction initiative in the state’s history, aiming to build or upgrade 44,920 kilometres of roads by the end of next year at a cost of ₹16,209 crore.
Mann said the project will cover villages, towns and major urban centres, ensuring a uniform, high-quality road network across Punjab. All roads will be built with a five-year maintenance clause and equipped with world-class safety features, including luminous lane markings and improved signages.
The Chief Minister added that the government has already completed or initiated the construction of 19,373 kilometres of rural link roads at a cost of ₹4,092 crore. He said recent floods had severely damaged connectivity in several regions, compelling the government to accelerate road infrastructure work.
He said the administration conducted a detailed statewide survey involving PMB, PWD, Urban Local Bodies and elected representatives to identify roads requiring repair, widening or upgradation. The expanded plan was drawn after receiving requests for similar high-quality roads across Punjab.
Responding to questions, Mann said the Chief Minister’s Flying Squad is monitoring road quality and that several contractors have already been penalized for using substandard materials. He warned that any contractor or government employee found compromising on quality will face strict action.
Mann also said Punjab has not received any of the RDF funds or the ₹1,600-crore special package announced by the Centre, adding that the BJP’s claims on this matter are “misleading.” He maintained that funds currently reaching the state are routine allocations under central schemes, not flood-specific assistance.2
Addressing the ongoing strike by PRTC employees, Mann appealed to workers to return to duty, assuring that the government is working sincerely to resolve their issues and has pursued some matters in court. He announced that 900 new government buses would soon be added to improve public transportation.
Issuing a strong warning to criminal networks, Mann reiterated the state’s zero-tolerance policy towards gangsters and said no one would be allowed to disturb Punjab’s peace or safety.
The Chief Minister also responded to Haryana CM’s allegation that his condolence visit to the home of deceased basketball player Hardik Rathi was politically motivated. Mann said he visited as a sports lover to express solidarity with the family and accused the Haryana government of deflecting attention from its deteriorating sports infrastructure.
Mann said that while India prepares to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games, collapsing sports facilities in Haryana have resulted in the deaths of promising young athletes. He insisted that the Haryana government must accept responsibility.
On his surprise visit to the Kurali bus stand earlier in the day, Mann said he went to personally assess public grievances. He has directed the Rupnagar Deputy Commissioner to increase routes for both local and long-distance buses to ease commuter difficulties.