Chamoli: The death toll in the Chamoli tunnel accident in Uttarakhand rose to nine on Tuesday after rescuers recovered the body of another worker who had been missing since the incident last week, officials said.
Chamoli District Disaster Management Officer N K Joshi said the body was recovered during the search operation being carried out by multiple agencies at the accident site. The remains have been shifted to the District Hospital in Gopeshwar, where authorities are working to establish the identity of the deceased.
The accident took place on the evening of August 13 after a landslide caused debris and water to enter the tunnel, trapping several workers inside. The incident left several people injured and triggered a large-scale rescue operation.
With the latest recovery, nine workers have been confirmed dead, while one worker continues to remain unaccounted for. Twelve others who were caught in the accident sustained injuries.
Multi-agency Search Continues
Rescue teams have continued their efforts to locate the remaining missing worker, with operations being conducted on a round-the-clock basis.
Personnel from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Uttarakhand Police and other agencies are involved in the search.
Officials said the teams are working to clear debris and water from the affected area while carefully searching for any signs of the remaining worker.
The recovery of the ninth victim has intensified the focus of the ongoing operation, with rescue agencies continuing their efforts to locate the last missing worker and bring the search operation to a conclusion.