Encounter News Punjabi

Cargo Ship With 24 Crew Sinks Off Odisha, 2 Rescued As Search For 22 Continues

WhatsApp Channel Join Now

New Delhi: A Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew members sank in the Bay of Bengal off the Odisha coast on Saturday, prompting a major search and rescue operation by the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy.

Two crew members were found alive on a life raft on Saturday night, while efforts are continuing to locate the remaining 22 sailors at sea.

The vessel, identified as MV Ocean Winner, had lost communication with its base before sinking around 240 nautical miles off the Paradip coast.

20 Chinese Nationals Among Crew On MV Ocean Winner

According to the Indian Coast Guard, the cargo ship was carrying a multinational crew comprising 20 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi national.

The ship had departed from the Odisha coast on Friday with a cargo of iron ore destined for Singapore.

Authorities received information that communication with the vessel had been lost, following which search and rescue efforts were initiated. The vessel was subsequently reported to have sunk in the Bay of Bengal.

There was some initial uncertainty over the number of crew members who had been rescued. Authorities later confirmed that two sailors had been located alive on a life raft.

Indian Coast Guard, Navy Launch Joint Search Operation

Following the sinking, the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy launched a coordinated operation to find the missing crew members.

Ships operating in nearby waters have also been alerted and requested to assist in the rescue effort. The operation is currently focused on locating the 22 sailors who remain unaccounted for and determining their possible position at sea.

The discovery of two survivors on a life raft has kept hopes alive as rescue teams continue searching the surrounding waters.

What Caused The Cargo Ship To Sink?

The exact reason behind the sinking of MV Ocean Winner has not yet been established.

Authorities are expected to examine the sequence of events leading up to the vessel losing communication, as well as other circumstances surrounding the incident.

The immediate priority, however, remains the search and rescue operation for the missing sailors.

Further details regarding the condition of the two rescued crew members and the progress of the search are awaited.

All news on Encounter News is computer-generated and sourced from third parties. Please read and verify carefully. We will not be responsible for any issues. 

Encounter News
Encounter News
Encounter Media Group

Latest Articles

Iran Says Strait Of Hormuz Will Remain Closed Until US ‘Changes Its Behaviour’

Tehran: Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed...

Tamil Nadu To Give Gold Rings To Newborns: Rs 220 Crore Order Placed For 1.28 Lakh Rings

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government has placed work orders for nearly...

Government Restricts Common Cold Medicine Combination For Children Below 4; Warning Made Mandatory

New Delhi: The Central Government has tightened restrictions on medicines containing...

3 Newborns Injured After Fire Breaks Out In NICU At Madhya Pradesh Hospital

Chhindwara: Three newborn babies suffered burn injuries after a fire broke...

Maharashtra Changes Retirement Rules For Police Dogs, Allows Them To Stay With Handlers For Life

Mumbai: Police dogs in Maharashtra will no longer have to leave...

Karnataka IAS Officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar ‘Missing’, Last Traced At Bengaluru Airport

Bengaluru: Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar has reportedly been untraceable...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here