Encounter News Punjabi

Hong Kong High-Rise Inferno Claims 94 Lives as Firefighters Continue Search for Missing Residents

WhatsApp Channel Join Now

Hong Kong — Firefighters battled through a second day on Thursday to bring under control a massive blaze that tore through a high-rise housing complex in Tai Po, leaving at least 94 people dead in one of the worst fire disasters in the city’s recent history.

Rescue teams with flashlights moved from one scorched apartment to another inside the Wang Fuk Court complex, a cluster of densely packed residential towers near the mainland border. Thick smoke continued to seep through broken windows as crews worked to enter every unit across seven of the buildings.

Derek Armstrong Chan, Deputy Director of Fire Services Operations, said the firefighting effort was nearing completion, but the search for survivors and victims was still underway. Emergency workers were still unable to access several apartments due to dangerous conditions.

Authorities did not confirm how many people remained unaccounted for. Chief Executive John Lee said earlier in the day that contact had been lost with 279 residents, but no updated figures were provided at the evening briefing.

The blaze began on Wednesday afternoon, reportedly igniting on bamboo scaffolding and construction netting before racing up a 32-storey tower and spreading rapidly to adjacent buildings. Video from the scene showed rescuers walking through darkened hallways, while pockets of flames continued to burn inside several units.

Chan said the fire spread with unusual speed and that fallen scaffolding and debris made entry extremely difficult. High temperatures, heavy smoke and blocked access routes forced rescuers to slow their advance.

More than 70 people, including 11 firefighters, were injured. About 900 residents were moved to temporary shelters overnight. Pope Leo XIV sent condolences to the city’s bishop, expressing sorrow for the victims and prayers for their families.

Among those waiting for news was resident Lawrence Lee, who said his wife became trapped after smoke filled the corridors. Another couple, Winter and Sandy Chung, said they feared for their home even after escaping safely.

Police arrested three men — directors and an engineering consultant from a construction company — on suspicion of manslaughter, alleging gross negligence in the renovation project. Investigators searched the office of Prestige Construction & Engineering Company and seized documents. Authorities suspect some exterior materials failed to meet fire-resistance standards, contributing to the unusually fast spread.

Officials also found flammable plastic foam panels installed near elevator lobbies in one tower. Security Secretary Chris Tang said the purpose of the panels was unclear and that further investigation is underway.

The 1980s-era housing estate has about 2,000 units and nearly 4,800 residents, many of them elderly. It was undergoing major renovation at the time of the fire. Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency has now launched a probe into possible irregularities linked to the refurbishment.

The tragedy has renewed scrutiny of the city’s use of bamboo scaffolding. While historically common, it performs poorly in fires. Chief Secretary Eric Chan said the government will hold discussions with industry groups on shifting to metal scaffolding to improve safety standards.

All news on Encounter News is computer-generated and sourced from third parties. Please read and verify carefully. We will not be responsible for any issues. 

Encounter News
Encounter News
Encounter Media Group

Latest Articles

Netanyahu Seeks Presidential Pardon, Says Ending Trial Will Help Restore Unity

Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has formally asked President Isaac...

Magnitude 4.2 Earthquake Jolts Nepal; Shallow Depth Raises Risk of Aftershocks

Kathmandu, Nepal: A mild earthquake of magnitude 4.2 struck Nepal on...

Multiple Fatalities in Stockton Banquet Hall Shooting, Investigation Underway

Stockton, California: A tragic shooting at a banquet hall in Stockton...

Australia Makes History as PM Anthony Albanese Marries During His Term

Australia: Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has become the first sitting...

US Says a Key Nation Won’t Be Invited to G20 2026, Trump Cites Human Rights Concerns

Washington DC: US President Donald Trump on Friday announced that one...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here