Encounter News Punjabi

Hindu Rice Trader Killed in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh Ahead of Elections, Robbery Suspected

WhatsApp Channel Join Now

Mymensingh (Bangladesh): A 62-year-old rice trader was brutally killed during a late-night attack in Trishal upazila of Bangladesh’s Mymensingh district on Monday, police said. The victim, identified as Sushen Chandra Sarkar, was reportedly assaulted with sharp weapons inside his shop, and a large sum of cash was looted.

According to a report by BDNews, the incident occurred around 11 pm at the Bogra Bazaar intersection. Sarkar, a resident of Southkanda village, owned a rice trading business named Bhai Bhai Enterprise at the market.

Trishal police station officer-in-charge Mohammad Firoz Hossain said unidentified assailants attacked Sarkar with sharp-edged weapons and left him critically injured inside the shop before pulling down the shutter and fleeing the scene.

Family members, who were searching for him after he failed to return home, later opened the shop and found him lying in a pool of blood. He was rushed to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital, where doctors declared him dead.

The victim’s son, Sujan Sarkar, said the family had been engaged in the rice trade for years and had no known enmity with anyone. He alleged that the attackers murdered his father and escaped with several lakh taka in cash kept at the shop.

Police have launched an investigation and said efforts are underway to identify and arrest the perpetrators. The motive behind the killing is being probed, with robbery suspected as a key angle.

Concerns Raised Over Minority Safety

The killing comes amid heightened political activity in Bangladesh ahead of elections. Some community organisations and minority rights groups have expressed concern over what they describe as an increase in attacks targeting members of minority communities during the pre-election period. International advocacy groups have called for greater protection of minorities and accountability in cases of violence, citing a pattern of intimidation and attacks. Authorities, however, have maintained that investigations are being conducted as per law.

All news on Encounter News is computer-generated and sourced from third parties. Please read and verify carefully. We will not be responsible for any issues. 

Encounter News
Encounter News
Encounter Media Group

Latest Articles

Iran Parliament Reportedly Moves to Approve Huge Reward Plan Against Trump, Netanyahu

Tehran: A fresh controversy has erupted in global diplomatic circles after...

Donald Trump Suspends Proposed Iran Offensive as Gulf Nations Push for Diplomatic Breakthrough

Washington: US President Donald Trump has announced a temporary suspension of...

PM Modi and Jonas Gahr Støre Strengthen India-Norway Relations in Historic Oslo Visit

Oslo: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Oslo on Monday for...

Indian Student Pursuing Master’s Degree Killed in Indiana Highway Crash

Chicago (USA): A 24-year-old Indian student pursuing her Master of Science...

Major Counter-Terror Offensive in Balochistan Leaves 35 Militants Dead, Senior Commanders Held

Balochistan: Pakistan’s security forces have claimed a major success in Balochistan...

Four US Navy Aviators Escape After Fighter Jets Crash Mid-Air During Idaho Show

Washington: A major disaster was narrowly avoided in Idaho after two...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here