Encounter News Punjabi

Donald Trump Announces 10% Across-the-Board Import Tariff After Top Court Setback

WhatsApp Channel Join Now

Washington: Just hours after the U.S. Supreme Court curtailed his use of emergency trade powers, President Donald Trump unveiled a sweeping new tariff plan, ordering a 10 percent duty on goods entering the United States from all countries.

The measure, issued through an executive order, invokes Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. Administration officials said the tariff will come into force within three days and may remain in effect for up to 150 days under existing statutory authority unless Congress votes to extend it.

The announcement follows last year’s Supreme Court decision that found Trump had overstepped his authority by imposing broad tariffs without congressional authorization under separate emergency legislation. The ruling significantly narrowed the scope of unilateral trade actions available to the executive branch.

In defending the new order, Trump said the temporary tariff is aimed at shielding American manufacturers and workers from persistent global trade imbalances. He argued that decisive action is needed to counter what he described as unfair trading practices and to bolster domestic production.

Economists, however, cautioned that blanket import duties could drive up prices for businesses and consumers, particularly in sectors reliant on global supply chains. Trade experts also warned the move may prompt retaliatory tariffs from key U.S. partners, raising the prospect of renewed trade friction.

Financial markets reacted with restraint but uncertainty. Major stock indices dipped modestly following the announcement, reflecting investor concern over potential disruptions to trade flows and corporate costs.

Policy analysts note that while Section 122 grants the president short-term authority to address balance-of-payments concerns, sustained tariff regimes typically require legislative backing. The coming weeks are expected to test whether lawmakers will support or challenge the administration’s latest trade maneuver.

The decision underscores Trump’s continued reliance on protectionist tools, even as judicial rulings have reshaped the boundaries of executive power in trade policy.

All news on Encounter News is computer-generated and sourced from third parties. Please read and verify carefully. We will not be responsible for any issues. 

Encounter News
Encounter News
Encounter Media Group

Latest Articles

Security Agencies Flag Possible LeT Plot Targeting Red Fort, Religious Sites

Delhi: Intelligence inputs have indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba may...

Delivery Executive Killed in Early-Morning Crash in West Delhi; Car Driver Held

Delhi: A 25-year-old delivery worker lost his life after a speeding...

Donald Trump Orders 10% Temporary Import Duty, Citing Global Payment Imbalances

Washington: The administration of Donald J. Trump has announced a temporary...

IED Found Near Rayya Police Post; Major Attack Averted in Amritsar

Amritsar: A suspected terror plot was thwarted early Saturday after an...

India Among Nations to Face 10% U.S. Tariff After Supreme Court Curbs Donald Trump’s Trade Powers

Washington: India and several other U.S. trading partners will now be...

Canada Moves to Shield Classified Material in Hardeep Singh Nijjar Killing Case

Ottawa: Canada’s federal government is seeking court approval to keep portions...

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here