Britain: Prince Andrew, the younger brother of King Charles III, was released from custody on Thursday evening after being arrested in connection with an ongoing investigation into alleged misconduct in public office. Authorities confirmed that the Duke had been detained for questioning earlier in the day and later freed under investigation, a legal status that does not amount to a charge.
The arrest follows claims that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who recently turned 66, may have shared confidential government material with the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as the United Kingdom’s Special Representative for Trade and Investment. Thames Valley Police said detectives had opened a formal inquiry after assessing information related to the alleged transfer of official documents.
According to police, the investigation centers on whether sensitive reports from overseas trips — including visits to parts of Asia — were improperly forwarded to Epstein around 2010. Andrew stepped down from his trade envoy role in 2011 after his association with Epstein became public and controversial. He has consistently denied any wrongdoing and previously stated that he regretted maintaining contact with the disgraced financier.
In a statement issued after news of the arrest broke, King Charles said he was deeply concerned and emphasized that the legal process must proceed without interference. Buckingham Palace noted that it had not been informed in advance of the detention but pledged full cooperation with investigators.
The development marks a significant and unusual moment for the modern British monarchy, as it is rare for a senior royal to be questioned in relation to potential criminal conduct. While arrest indicates reasonable suspicion, legal experts stress it does not imply guilt. If prosecutors were to bring formal charges of misconduct in public office — a common law offence — the case would be heard in a Crown Court and could carry severe penalties.
Images earlier in the day showed unmarked police vehicles at residences associated with the Duke, including properties linked to royal estates. Officers were also reported to be conducting searches as part of evidence-gathering efforts.
The current probe is separate from the civil lawsuit brought in the United States by Virginia Giuffre, which Andrew settled in 2022 without admitting liability. That case stemmed from allegations of sexual abuse connected to Epstein, who was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor and later died in custody in 2019.
Public reaction to the arrest has been swift and divided. Advocacy groups have renewed calls for transparency, while some political figures in the United States and Britain have commented on the broader implications for the royal family’s reputation. Campaign organization Republic has also urged further scrutiny over separate claims involving alleged trafficking activities, which police say are being assessed independently.
Despite stepping back from official duties in 2019 and losing his military affiliations and royal patronages last year, Andrew remains eighth in line to the throne. The palace has reiterated that the matter is now in the hands of law enforcement.
Investigators have indicated they will provide updates when appropriate. For now, the Duke remains under investigation as authorities continue to examine the allegations and determine whether further action will follow.